Pedestrian gates are one way to provide your home or business with a secure entryway. These gates will allow you to give specific people access to your property. These gates not only help keep your property safe but also make you feel secure within your dwelling. Keep reading to learn everything you need to know about our affordable gates.
At Glow Innovations, we have an excellent range of gates to choose from. Our gates will increase property safety as well as aesthetic appeal. Contact us to receive a quote for your pedestrian gate. We will also install the gate for you or, if you wish, you can install it yourself with our trusted guide and on-call services.
Top 6 Benefits Of A Pedestrian Gate
Pedestrian gates allow specific people to enter an area through a small entryway. These gates are functional and aesthetically pleasing. These gates can also be motorised which will allow you to take advantage of the convenience and ease of accessibility. Here are six advantages of having a pedestrian gate on your property:
- Pedestrian gates keep out unwanted individuals. When these gates are designed and installed correctly, they are a reliable deterrent to thieves. These gates help keep your property safe, specifically at night.
- Pedestrian gates will keep pets and children inside. Keeping those you love safe is important. If you have adventurous children, you will not need to stress about them wandering off when you have a pedestrian gate.
- Pedestrian gates add to your curb appeal and the aesthetic of your home. There are many designs available that can add to the beauty of your home. Well-designed gates can also add to the value of your property.
- Pedestrian gates add extra security to your home and can therefore reduce your home insurance costs. The less of a risk your home is, the fewer insurance claims you will need due to theft.
- Pedestrian gates have a long lifespan, and they are cost-effective. If your gate is made from aluminium fencing, the gate will have a long lifespan. This material is corrosion-resistant, less expensive than other materials and lightweight.
- Pedestrian gates are easy to install. Many people install these gates themselves. It may surprise you how simple it is to install these gates. You will need a few tools such as a small spade, a tape measure, a string line, a crowbar, a reverse drill, a spirit level, and concrete.
These advantages are just a few reasons why these gates are beneficial. If you are thinking about having a pedestrian gate installed, contact Glow Innovations and we will help you find the perfect gate to match your needs.
What Are The Best Materials To Use For A Pedestrian Gate?
When it comes to choosing your pedestrian gate, well-informed customers make the best decisions. If you are well-informed, it will be easy for you to choose a gate that will work well for you. If you are looking into having a metal gate installed at your home or business, it is important to know what metal materials to choose from. Four metals are used to create metal gates. These four metals include:
- Steel – is an alloy of carbon and iron. Steel is extremely strong. It is more resistant to impact as well as stronger than pure iron. Steel is one of the best options for pedestrian gates. Steel is a heavy-duty material.
- Wrought iron – this is a type of iron that has been heated and worked by using tools. This metal is more workable than cast iron and can be made into different designs. The appearance of wrought iron is fibrous and adds to the appearance of this metal.
- Aluminium – this is a lightweight and workable metal. This metal is also completely resistant to rust. However, it is not as strong as steel.
- Cast iron – this is iron that has been melted and poured into moulds. This is a very strong metal. However, it is not as ductile or heavy-duty as wrought iron. Cast iron has a smoother appearance compared to wrought iron.
How Can You Install A Pedestrian Gate Yourself?
One way to save some money on your pedestrian gate would be by installing it yourself. To do this you will need to follow detailed instructions and ensure that you have all the necessary tools to do so.
The tools you will need to install your pedestrian gate include a hammer, a trowel, a wheelbarrow, an adjustable wrench, a string line level, a level, a straight ruler, string, a shovel, wooden blocks, and a shovel.
After you have all these tools you can begin with your installation. Follow this basic step-by-step guide to perfectly install your gates:
Step 1: Set your terminal posts. Use a shovel to dig all the terminal post holes. Terminal post holes are usually between 25,4cm and 30,48cm in diameter and 45,72cm deep with sides that are sloped. Ensure that there is a minimum of 127cm between each post.
The terminal posts should be embedded in the middle of the holes and ensure that both poles are straight, parallel to the other post, and perpendicular to the ground. A string can be used as a level if you do not have one. Then pour concrete into the holes made.
Step 2: Hang the fence panels. Prepare all the pieces you received when you bought your gate. These pieces include brackets, washers, nuts, adjustable hinges, and plates. Then install the welded hinge plate onto the U-bracket on the upper post.
Ensure that all the nuts are tight and secure. Follow these steps for all the hinges. The pieces that you receive will depend on the type of gate you buy as well as the company you buy the gate from.
Step 3: Before you hang the gate, you can add touch-ups and clean the gate. You can also make sure that everything is in the right position before completing the installation. For this part of the installation align the gate with the terminal posts.
Place wooden blocks at the bottom of the gate and the upper hinge. This will help you see if the gate is in line with the hinges and level. Everything must be level.
Step 4: Adjust the gate hinges. Remove the wooden blocks from the gate before you begin adjusting the hinges. There should be a 5,08cm gap between the gate and the hinges and ensure that there is also a 5,08cm gap between the ground and the bottom of the gate.
Use your level on top of the gate. Adjust the hinges if they are not even with one another. After you have completed all these steps, open and close the gate. If the gate opens and closes smoothly you have followed all prior steps correctly.
Step 5: The final step involves making sure that everything is in line and looks neat. A pedestrian gate can get dirty during the installation process so you may need to give it a thorough clean afterwards.
Sometimes it may also be necessary to give the gate another coat of paint if it got damaged during installation. This is an essential step as it may prevent rust from appearing on the damaged areas.
What Is The Best Way To Maintain Your Pedestrian Gate?
After you have installed your pedestrian gate you may be interested in knowing how you can look after it. Looking after your new gate is one way to ensure its longevity and durability. A few ways that you can take care of your pedestrian gate include:
- Lubricate your gate once a year. Lubricating the chains, screws, wheels, and pulleys to ensure that the gate continues to operate effectively. Avoid using WD 40 or heavy oils to lubricate your gate. Use lithium grease, silicone-based lubricants, or oil.
- Practice pest control. Insects, lizards, and rats may damage the electrical components of gates which will cause many issues. Taking care of your gate will prevent long-term unnecessary costs.
- Clean your gate regularly. You should clean your gate at least once a year as well as do a few minor cleans whenever necessary. Monitor your gate to pick up on possible rust and clogged dirt. This will increase the lifespan of your gate.
- Check your gate for scratches, marks, and dents. These things are the main reason why you may need to replace or repair your pedestrian gate. Look for any part of your gate that is damaged.
- Preventative maintenance. The drop arm and flap barriers must be cleaned whenever necessary to ensure they always work efficiently. Preventative maintenance is necessary to prevent damage.
- When cleaning your pedestrian gates, it is not necessary to use harsh chemicals. All you need to use is a soft cloth and mild soap. After you have cleaned your gate thoroughly, give it a rinse with clean water.
- Use a diluted mixture of water and soap, apply this to your cloth and gently wipe down your entire gate. Rince the gate with water and dry the entire gate with a clean dry cloth. After you have cleaned the gate, lubricate all the moving parts.
- If the lock mechanism becomes difficult to use, use a dry lubricant. This type of lubricant can be bought from a locksmith and is perfect for all locks.
- Additionally, when trying to maintain your gate never use detergents or abrasive cleaners. This will decrease the longevity of your gate. Do not use lubricants such as WD40 or Q20. These lubricants attract dust and negatively affect the moving parts of the gate.
Pedestrian Gates: About Glow Innovations
Glow Innovations is a business that specialises in security gates, pedestrian gates, driveway gates, and steel bar fencing. We promise our clients quality and innovative results every time.
We not only provide our clients with security applications, we also manufacture staircases, balustrades, columns, pergolas, structural steel beams, custom shop-fitting steelworks, and garden trellis. All our products are available on our website.
We have a variety of customers, therefore, we work hard to meet all their needs. On our website, we have an inspiration page for our clients to explore different design ideas. If you are not sure about how you would like your product to look, this page may help.
On the other hand, if you know exactly what you would like, we will work hard to ensure that it can be done. At Glow Innovations, we want to make our clients’ design ideas become a reality.
Contact us to discuss your custom design ideas and needs. We offer all our clients free quotations and there are no obligations attached. We have been in the steel products game for 21 years and pride ourselves on providing our clients with the best results.